Monday, October 02, 2006

For my pal Steph!!!! What do I mean by "Musician"?

My old college buddy Stephanie posted some comments and questions on my last blog post that I thought were good questions, I thought I would address them publicly in a new post!

"As for your recording; what happens with the finished product? Not to be stupid, but in what capacity are you a musician? I mean will these be released to the general public for purchase? (forgive my ignorance of the whole music world and how it works! LOL) I love music and listening to it, but am dumb as far as all of the background of it. Explain please."

This is a very good and valid question that many who might stumble accross my webpage or blog might ask. . .what do you mean by "musician"? In short "Why do you do what you DO, Thomas J.?"

Well, first of all, it is NOT for fame or fortune. . .I gave up my dreams of being a Rock and Roll star when I was yunger, thinner, and had more hair--The realization that the price that one had to pay for working as a PROFESSIONAL musician was far higher than I was willing to pay. It really WAS always about the music anyway. . .it was about being able to play, write, record, and create, and in the late 80's/early 90's the technology was not available at an affordable price to be able to do that on one's own--the only feasable way to BE a musician was to have someone else finance it. Thus, I wanted to "Make it" in order to be able to continue to write, record, play, create, etc.

Well, for a long time, Life kind of got in the way of making music. . .I mean, opportunities came to play, and I continued to write intermittently, but by and large, My life was in too much crisis to be able to have the time and space to create the way I wanted to, andworking with other musicians became difficult due to conflicts in goals, taste in music, time constraints, musucian availablity, whatever. In addition, I began to find that the people that I was coming in contact with had JUST as much of a vision to create THEIR music ad I had to create MINE (translated, they had egos as huge as mine, if you can beleive it, and one big headed SOB in a musical group was enough). So, my taste in collaboration became alot more discriminating, as I wanted to be working with people who I was on the same page with--otherwise, the time and effort it would take to create music would be far more than what I was getting out of it.

About this time, the technology caught up with me. . .the affordability of computer based, home recording equipment, and my progressing skill as a musician and a producer, made it feasable for me to create at home, on my own terms. Providence or luck has given me conbtact with some wonderful people to work with in this environment, most notably, my great friend and collaborator JR Mounts, who did most of the lead guitar on "The Spirit Tree" and is in the process of recording his tracks for "Ubuntu" (and doing MAGNIFICENT work, I might add). So, basically, I am a musical Hobbyist. . .creating music in my spare time in a comfortable home studio environment.

Now, to the main question--"what do you DO with your music?"

Well, first of all, I listen to it. . .ALOT. This may sound vain or narcissistic, but it actually is reasonable. I make the music I make because it is what i LIKE. I LIKE to listen to these songs, I think they are GOOD. .and I enjoy listening to them as much, if not more so, than any other artist's music. It makes sense that if I were to put the amount of time and energy into a project that I do and hated listening to it, or was ambivalent about it, it would be pretty stupid. I unapologetically LOVE my music.

Second of all, my KIDS love the music. This is a good thing, because the lyrical content of the music is pretty much my manifesto--my creedbook. I write about what I think, feel, and beleive, and I think that if my kids can hear these songs, and internalize the messages, I will have done a good thing. . it will all have been worthwhile. So far it seems to be a good thing.

Thirdly, I use the music as outreach. . .I think that I have a good outlook on life, and the lessons that I have learned are good things to share. . .I am not perfect, or always right, but I think I am pretty smart. . .and whatever wisdom has been given to me by God is coming thru in these songs. . .if I reach one or two people, or more, thru these songs, and it helps THEM on their journey, I am doing a good thing. ..I am making a difference.

Fourthly, as I said, I enjoy the creative process. . .I like being able to look at a finished album and realize that i CREATED it, out of NOTHING. . .there was NO song there, and i MADE it. ..whether that is from my own ingenuity , or because I am channeling some divine muse, I am not sure, but it is still an exciting, enjoyable thing.

Now, one would ask the question, "well, if you were trying to take this to the next level, wouldn't that just enhance everything?" Well, yes and no. . .working with record companies is OUT--they are interested in making money, not music, and to be involved with that caliber of people does not interest me at all. Yes, it would increase the revenue, but it would also take away the creative freedom, add a whole lot of stress that i DON'T need, and take me away from this home and this family. No thank you.

I could still work on polishing the albums just a little bit more, get them professionally mastered and pressed as CD's (with Jewel cases, etc), play local gigs, festivals, etc., but that is a whole lot of work, for very little return, either financially or from a satisfaction POV. If I had a wealthy benefactor who wanted to pay for all of that, press CD's, buy equipment, arrange gigs, set up amps, help find fellow musicians (or fly them in from out of town), and give me artistic freedom int he meantime, I am not sure that I would turn them down, but that is unlikely to happen.

So, here I am. . .a committed, non-professional, stay at home, musician/philosopher/dad. I make music because it is what i DO. . .pretty much what I have ALWAYS done. . fortunately my circumstance have enabled me to pretty much do it on my own terms with relative ease.

I have to be the luckiest guy in the world.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

Yes you are :o)

6:17 PM  
Blogger Allen Snook said...

you and i have a similar point of view / beliefs when it comes to our music. i enjoy listening to my own stuff too, my kids love hearing daddy working on his stuff, i have a lot of "message" music, and the creative process is a barrel of fun.

we're a little different in that i am driven to perform at open-mics and other "local gigs" - heck I'm even thinking of busking on a ferry sometime soon, just to see if I could get some money thrown into my guitar case

:)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

Allen, thank you so much for visiting! How did you find the site?

I think if Kimberly was not working nights, I might be a little more motivated to try to do a friday night open mic, etc. . .they are looking for friday entertainment at the local Borders, but evening time seems so precious to me, that it makes me really stingy with it.

Also, I have realized what a deeply netrenched morning person I am. . .JR, my guitarist/collaborator, has been doing guitar tracks for me the last couple of weeks, and we have been getting started at about 7:30-8:30 in the mornings and going til 11-12. This is when we BOTH work best. . .and we have discussed how hard that would make the pursuit of a "music career" (not many open mic brunches).

I am looking forward to spending time on your site, and reading your blog! Thanks again for visiting.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Unrelated to your post, Thomas, but wanted to show you something funny... I typed in the address of your blog, but made a typo and left the "s" out of blogspot - give it a try and look what you get: http://thomasjwilson.blogpot.com

2:50 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Oh wait, nevermind, it happens no matter what you put in the "thomasjwilson" part of the URL. Pretty sneaky. If you're not looking for it, they'll trick you and get you there anyway.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

WHAT? Jacki? Do you mean to tell me that I am not already bookmarked in your FAVORITES?

I AM CRUSHED!!!

LOLOLOLOL

2:58 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Not only do I have your blog bookmarked, I've subscribed to it through my Bloglines account.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home