Tuesday, October 17, 2006

(SIGH)

I think I just make a mistake in getting in online discussions.

it is getting incredibly frustrating (and even apalling) to me the number of discussions I have been in in the past few weeks of a "political" nature that have left me feeling somewhat nauseous.

Most of these discussions have been with people who claim to be Christians, are middle to upper-middle class, white, and educated. A majority are female and married. Without fail, these individuals end up making disparaging comments about SOME member of another race, culture, religion, or orientation.

I have stopped actively participating in the Ex church of Christ board, as there are a number of people, most of whom claim to be Chrisitans, who insist that the resolution to the conflict in the Middle East is to "Nuke them all" (that was one of Jesus' sayings wasn't it? "Nuke them before they Nuke you"?)

It is very disturbing, that members of one of the wealthiest, most powerful nations in the world, with a standard of living which far exceeds the VAST majority of people worldwide, would waste their time and energy criticizing members of another culture, vilifying them, and turning a blind eye to the needs of so many. ESPECIALLY when these people claim to be Christians.

The Jesus that the Bible talks about taught a message of tolerance, acceptance and peace. Of unity, equality, and Justice. To claim to be one of his followers, and then defend one's own callousness, is nothing short of hipocrisy.

I admit that I am no saint. . .I admit that I fail in many ways as a person. I offer no excuses for those failings. I think that others could afford to do the same.

The sad thing is, that I am not even talking about them DOING anything. . .not giveing money, or joining the peace corps or whatever. . .just to admit that there are people who are oppressed, and that our culture benefits from that oppression.

So, having rambled and vented, I will pose a question:

Does apathy and ambivalence equal cooperation and collusion?

In otherwords, if an individual refuses to ackowledge and take part in balancing the scales of justice, are they guilty of injustices such as oppression, poverty, and genocide?

Does our benefitting from a culture that has flourished at the expense of other cultures make us guilty of that injustice?

6 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

Read http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/2006/07/particularism-and-christianity.html

This guy suggests that inaction is only immoral if a motive is involved.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

Is preservation of wealth and an ideology of ethnocentrism a motive?

8:10 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Naughty, naughty. What kind of trouble are you causing now? ;)

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas is a naughty boy, but I like him.

I'm a big supporter of Bob Brown, he is the leader of the Greens' party in my corner of the world. When President Bush visited, he stood up in parliament and challenged the west's participation in the war. Bob was forcibly removed from the house.

Bob Brown is openly gay, and I know this gets up the nose of my brethren, but his party is the only party that has a policy of dealing with Iraq/Iran/North Korea through the UN, and so is the only politician I know who was from the very beginning a supporter of a civil solution to Iraq.

Anyway, all that is water under the bridge. The REAL question now is what do we do? I've long felt that the only anwer now lies with the power brokers in the US doing a deal with Iran and Syria, and I've been hearing reports in the last few days that this is being considered.

It can feel pretty hopeless, but I think simple things like, having a blog that discusses these issues, sponsoring children in the 3rd world through aid agencies, voting for politicians who support peace and talking about this in a civil manner, - well these are all good things.

I guess where you, Thomas, and I part ways is that no matter what happens I believe God's will, will be done. I know this can sound so glib and artificial . . . bah! I'm sure you've had the sermon before.

Keep on rockin.

Leo

7:42 AM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

No Leo, I am not sure that you and I part ways on this issue. . .I DO think that God is in control, but I also think htat the freewill of "wrongdoers" will not be superceded (this is the very nature of human creation, is it not?)

I guess what I am just really concerned about is how many people there are out there who remain so tightly isolated in their tiny little bubble that they are not even willing to EXAMINE the ide that there might be a better way than how they are being led.

Like lemmings over a hill, I feel like we all are sometimes, and the question is not whether or not there is someone greater in control, but whether or not people will choose to DO right.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ugh, I feel your pain about getting into political discussions...as much as I engage in crazy religious discussions, I usually try to stay out of political ones. I'm such a hodgepodge of political beliefs, being Catholic and on the right when it comes to morality issues, but being closer to the left on social and many international issues, I mean I am married to Frenchman, lol. I always seem to get both sides on my case, lol, so I avoid politics for the most part!

With that said...I don't have any answers to your questions, ha!

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home