Sunday, October 16, 2005

Grace.

In religious circles, there always seems to be some discussion about grace. "God's Grace" or "Saved by Grace", etc. When this discussion is taking place, it is usually talking about salvation from Hell. . .the forgiveness of one's sin and the redemption of a soul from damnation to a home in heaven after death. This is all a nice idea and it gives a lot of people hope. The skeptic in me, however, acknowledges that the same people who are promoting this idea of "Grace" are the same people who are propagating the idea of damnation in the first place. I am not saying that Grace is NOT about the afterlife. I am just saying that I recognize the tendency for leaders to use fear and propaganda to keep people under control.

I have been thinking more about "Grace" as it applies to the INDIVIDUAL life. In otherwords, what grace has been shown to us as individuals, in order to turn our lives into something good and positive rather than from despair and want. I know that in my OWN life, the recovery from a life of fear and shame to a life of love and validation have been essential. I look at those that are my friends. . .Those that I love, who have stood or fallen based on some unknown factor, something that is not quantifiable but has made a difference all the same.

The arrogance in me at times wants to attribute that to my own strength of will. To say that it was MY resolve or cleverness or intelligence that has pulled me through the darkness into a place that is good. I think that is off the mark. There are people who are far smarter and stronger than I who have spiraled downward into loss and despair. I think that the transformation in my life (and the lives of others) is to significant to just chalk up to me "making the right choices".

That leaves it in the hands of chance, or grace. One or the other. Yes, it COULD be just dumb luck that turns around lives and makes good things happen. I seem to think not though.

I think it IS grace. . .it is something else that is guiding me. . .teaching me. . .strengthening me. It is grace that transforms. . .maybe for "eternal salvation" (whatever THAT really is) or maybe just to live a full, rich life.

Whatever it is I am thankful for it and I give the glory to the source of that grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home