Friday, January 27, 2006

Back to my REAL job!!!

As most of you know, Kimberly has been on maternity leave since the beginning of November, and as a result, I returned to the workforce, waiting tables at a local restaraunt to supplement our income from her short term disability. It has been interesting, as I have been, with the exception of a few weeks at the beginning of last year, been a Full-time, Stay at Home Dad for the past 2 1/2 years. I have discovered that this is my best calling. . .and that my many professions of Social Worker, Counselor, Restaraunt Manager, Salesperson, and Factory worker have all blended together to make me best suited for this job, where I have the responsibility to solve problems, listen, clean and direct cleanup, persuade and convince, and do repetetive functions/stand on my feet/and work with my muscles for 8 hours a day. It is amazing how suited FOR this job i tend to be.

Well, now I am back at it, and couldn't be happier. . .the house has recieved its initial, perfunctory clean (the detailed deep cleaning will happen on a room by room basis within the next week or so) The kids are already getting back into a routine (although, Sofia and I are still experimenting with what will work best for us, particularly in the evenings), and we have done more cleaning, coloring, pottying, and playing together than i think we have in a long time.

Dinner last night, in honor of Kimberly's return to work was her favorite: eggplant parmesan, and in future days we are looking at marinated cubed steak, turkey nachos with home made salsa and guacamole, and then we have a beautiful pork loin that will be in the slow cooker all day on sunday. . .i expect that by dinner time it will be so tender that it will fall apart if you talk to it with a stern voice.

I don't say all this to boast (well, maybe to boast a LITTLE), but to simply point out that sometimes it takes a while for us to get where we want to be. . .My dear departed Mother, God rest her soul, used to say to me, as I was cycling through my numerous professions, that I would find my niche. . .she was so right. . .and I am so thankful for this beautiful home and family where I am able to use my best traits int he best way.

We have decided that I will continue at the restaraunt for a couple fo days a week. . .i am going to accept the promotion to certified trainer that they offered me a few weeks ago and stay on indefinately. . .it will be nice to have the opportunity to get out regularly, ave contact in the "grown up world" (i.e.: having other things to talk about other than elmo and coloring) and it will be PARTICULARLY nice to have the little bit of extra cash to be able to "play" as a family a little more (i.e: being able to see movies in the theatre more often and getting an appetizer when we go out to eat).

All in all it is a great life. . .I am a little concerned for Kimberly, who is having the "leaving the baby at home for the first time" blues a little more acutely than normal (this IS, after all, the LAST baby). . .even though she is feeling the sting of leaving, i KNOW that it would be a slow drag intofrustration, stagnation, and stir-craziness for her of she were not going back. . .she is NOT the homebody of the family. . .I am SOOOOOOOO thankful for her dedication to this family as WELL as to her career. . .transitions are always hard, so please keep us in your good thoughts and prayers.

Love to all, more to come, pictures to be posted SOON!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home