Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Knowledge, Faith, and Truth

I had a conversation with a friend on IM last night regarding life and philosophy (who me?). This person is in the process of leaving hte religious group that we had both formerly been affiliated with, and is at a point of trying to redifine what she believes. She remains very grounded in the Bible and the Judeo-Christian concept of "God". Out of respect for her. . .being where she is at. . .I refrained from asking my more skeptical questions about hte Bible and about Chirsitianity. Rather, I tried to stay within the framework that she was functioning in.

It was interesting to find out that those boots still fit. Even though I left the Church 5 and a half years ago. . .so many of the stories and concepts of the Bible are fresh and readily accessable. . .there is no doubt that the indoctrination that I expereinced took hold. I say "indoctrination" but what I really think i mean is "knowledge". I know alot about the Bible and about religion. I understand alot of why the religious groups teach what they. All of that data is still there, in a folder on the desktop, ready to be accessed with just a little review.

In thinking about that dialogue, I am impressed also with the difference between "Knowledge" and "Faith". By and large, the group that we came out of focussed on "Knowledge"--in "Having all the answers". You were expected to study to "defend the faith" and to "evangelize". . .there seemed to be a real de-emphasis on faith. . .and on believing that God was really active in one's life. It is also impressive to me that although I have rejected most of the doctrines and teachings of Christianity (or rather than rejected, let's say I remain "unconvinced"), i am more faithful in God's power and activity in my life than I EVER was when I was a "Christian".

I think that may be the rots of faith. . .not in knowledge, but in TRUTH. I think there ARE universal truths that permeate all of our lives and many teachings of diverse groups. In talking to my friend last night, I think I was able to access some of those truths that appear in the Bible and in the precepts of Christianity. Of course those are the ones that are the most accessable to me, because they are the ones of which I have the most knowledge. I admit, however, that I am finding just as many of those truths as I learn more about the teachings of Islam, Buddhism, etc.

I thik, my New Years Resolution needs to be to learn more about how people have come to understand the divine outside the definitions of Christianty. . .how have OTHER cultures and OTHER faiths come to understand the nature of God?

2 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

We should swap notes sometime.

I have a Taoist friend I compare with, but he's a little muddy on why he believes in a "great spirit". He's of the opinion that all religions have a grain of truth in them, but an incomplete revelation.

You've obviously got a formed belief in a god figure outside of religion - wondering how you've put that together personally.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

We SHOULD swap notes. . .if you would ever get DOWN here to visit, we could sit up until 3 am drinking coffee and unraveling the mysteries of the universe. . .

Actually, Bill, In all seriousness, for me it is hope for the journey. . .it is about having faith in a "goodness" that keeps me going. .the faith that there is someone out there that is making all of this happen in my life: You know, healing, happiness, love, family, friends, music. . .all of the things that it seems that, looking back, organized religion impeded.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home