Monday, November 21, 2005

Then and Now

I am sitting here in my living room, enjoying a cup of coffee and listening to the CD that I recieved in the mail today. This CD is noteworthy as it is the debut CD, "No Part of Nothin'" by the Arkansas blugrass band Runaway Planet.

About six weeks ago, I got one of my "where are they now?" urges and looked up the original guitar player, Steve Brauer, for my college band "Bedrock". Steve and I have not been in touch in almost 15 years. After only a semester at FHU, he began a 10 year oddessy that took him across the country, to europe and back. He had many a wild a hairy scary day, but has done a pretty good job getting his life together. I found him on the Runaway Planet website, the band that he helped to found and that he plays BANJO in. He has actually turned out to be a virtuosio banjo player. The songs are real live authentic bluegrass, played by talented players who have lived interesting lives and love their instruments.

I am amazed at the turns life takes, but how much things can bond us as people. Steve and I talked on the phone a couple of weeks ago. . .it was like old friends. . .no time had passed. we talked for about an hour. He has truly found his niche and sounds so happy and at peace. . .waiting tables and playing bluegrass. (Sound familiar?)


















Steve Brauer, Halloween 1988


So, here is my kudos to Steve and a WONDERFUL peice of work in the CD. . .I am looking forward to our friendship rekindling and growing!

For all you guys out there, check out www.runawayplanet.net for a real treat by some AWESOME musicians!


Steve Brauer Today

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh heh. Isn't it funny how life comes around. -> BR

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maynard!!!!

I don't have too many memories of Steve, sad to say...never got to know him well enough.

I do remember the night we were in his room in Farrow (I think Michael was his roommate that semester), and I did an impression of him, making fun of his apparent lack of expression.

I went through the range of emotions, hardly twitching, then did "complete, overwhelming joy" by raising an eyebrow and muttering "Cool."

Steve laughed his booty off. Steve, I apologize for robbing you of your booty.

D-bad

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home