Friday, February 17, 2006

My Oldest Son


In honor of his birthday (which begins in 50 minutes), i wanted to do a quick post about my oldest son, Drew. Drew and I have been together for over 5 years, and while he is not the child of my flesh, he is in EVERY way, the son of my heart. We have CERTAINLY had our ups and downs, probably as much due to the many MANY ways that we are alike as much as anything.

Drew is becomign such a fine young man it is unbelievable. He is growing from a self indulgent child into a responsible person with a strong grasp of what it takes to make relationships work. He is becoming self motivating with his chores, homework, etc and is a wonderful friend, playmate, and example for his younger siblings. He is such a great help to me I can not even put it into words.

Most importantly, Drew is a pleasure to be around. As he is growing and maturing, he is developing tastes, ideas, and beleifs and is becoming more articulate and able to express the thing sthat are important to him. He is becoming very talented also in being able to stand up for his beliefs as well, demonstrating the wherwithal and courage to make a coherent argument when he believes he is being treated unfairly. . .anybody who is willing to go head to head with me in a battle of wits is ALWAYS going to have my respect.

This is not to say that this boy is perfect, by any stretch. He is still an adolescent with all of the problems that go with that, but he is on a good road, I beleive, and he makes me enormously proud on a daily basis. It is good to be able to praise him more frequently than scold him, because for a few years, we seemed to be on a mission to fight about ANYTHING.

So Drew, here is to you, the best cookie baker, Battlestar watching friend, laundry co-folder and son that a guy could ask for. Happy birthday and thank you for being you. I love you Son!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

Yes, he is a wonderful son. I am very lucky that I can say I am his mother. I love you Drew.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Happy Birthday Drew and best wishes for a GREAT year!

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He looks GROWN in the middle picture! How tall is he?

Happy birthday Drew.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

He HAS grown. . .he stands about 5' 9", and is thin. . .about 135. The picture that you refer to is my FAVORITE picture of him (he is notorious for being unphotogenic. . .he usually gives these really fake half smiles that looks like he is straining on the toilet. . .we don;t even buy school pictures anymore) he is turning into a fine young man.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home