Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Twinkle, Twinkle. . .


I think that I have done a pretty good job of giving my toddler/ preschoolers an eclectic education thus far. I do however, have to admit, with some regret, a void in their education thus far. From a musical standpoint, I have made an effort to expose my kids to everyone from Tchaicovsky to Patsy Cline. . .concentrating on "The Classics" (You know, Rush, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc), but I have recognized, and acutely so, that they are missing one important genre in their musical experience:

Children's Songs.

Yes, Children's songs. My kids, until recently knew NOTHING about the wheels on the bus, what do do if you are happy and you know it or how a little star twinkles. They knew all the word's to Rush's "Closer to the Heart". They knew that "People try to put us down just because we get around" and they were MORE than familiar with the lady that is sure all that glitters is gold. However, They thought that it was only Syd Barrett that was like a diamond in the sky.

I took them to a story time at the local borders a few months ago, and that showed me the deficit in Possum and Olivia's education. . .they sat their, amongst kids singing well known children's songs, with looks of shock and awe on their faces, like deer in the headlights. It was at that point that I set out to rectify this.

I am happy to say now, that their remedial education in this area is paying off. ..they now know, with the help of an "Elmo sings kid's favorite songs" DVD and a "Toddler's best tunes" CD what to do if they are happy and they know it. . .they know that the wheels on the bus go round and round, and how Old MacDonald's Cow goes. I think that they are catching up.

On a side note. . .Possum, like his older half-sister Bekah, has an IMPECCABLE ear for melody. . .he picks it up like NOTHING. . .I have been a musician for half of my life. . .i have been singing since i could talk, and it was this morning, that Possum clued me in to the fact that the melody for "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" is the same melody for the ABC song. . .pretty far out.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL- what kind of father doesn't teach Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?! You should be ashamed.

I am glad that they are catching up. You'd hate for them to start school and already be labeled as social outcasts or idiots because "EVERYONE" knows those songs. LOL.

Now, let me make a suggestion so your kids won't be too far behind. START TEACHING THEM SPANISH! It will make a HUGE difference in their schooling, and their ability to make friends who are "different" then they are. It provides opportunities that nothing else can replace. Of course with an 8th grader in the house, you probably already know that!

Have your kids ever heard "This Little Light of Mine?"

1:12 PM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

Possum already greets our Cuban american pharmacist with "Hola, Nora, Como stas?" I know a bit of spanish, but largely related to food and kitchen (keep in mind that MOST of the food and dishes in family sit-down restaraunts is done by Central american immigrants. . .a fact that many ethnocentric whites wish to overlook. . .but yeah, wanting them to reach out and embrace diversity is a big goal for our kids. I was very pleased whn Drew had a couple of mexican friends when we were out in Cali. . .not because of his willingness to embrace diversity, because he has always done so, but because they would say "man, your black bean soup is WAY better than my MOM's" or "Wow, this guacamole tastes JUST LIKE my granma"

Yeah, the concern with when they get to school IS a big concern. . .hence my desire to "close the gap" so to speak"

"This little light of mine" is not one that is commonly sung in our house, as you could guess. . .and the fact that many of the children's songs taht I used to sing with Bekah were sunday school songs may have been part of the reason that they do not know any of the old VBS songs. .not only am i reluctant to sing them due to my own personal ambiguity of faith, but also because it is a little painful remembering those other times. That is another thing altogether.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Drew is hanging out with some strange mexicans... or "Wow, this guacamole tastes JUST LIKE my granma"
Have these poor children tasted their grandma? and is that a compliment or insult to your food? I'm not sure what my grandma tastes like, but I'm pretty sure it's not guacamole...unless you put mothballs in it.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

"Like my GRANDMA'S" rather. . .LOLOLOLOL

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I don't know what my grandma tasted like, but I do know what she smelled like. She always wore Chantilly perfume and powder. I can still remember that smell to this day, just sitting here typing on the computer!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

smells from memory. . .what a great idea for a post! Coming soon!!!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home