Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Scent of Memory

Kimberly made a comment on my last blog post regarding the smell of her grandmother's perfume. . .how this is a scent that will be a part of her memory as long as she has cogniscience (and perhaps after). It got me to thinking about how many scents are tied to MY memories. . What things will touch my nose and send me, like a bloodhound, down the roads of reverie?

Here are a few that occured to me at this writing, I encourage readers to add to this list the things that touch them.

Emeraude Perfume and Salem Cigarrettes (My mother wore Emeraude as long as I remember
Suave shampoo and cigarrettes
Railroad tie pitch (Many times down by the tracks in Henderson)
green beans slow cooking
Crayola Crayons
Modeling Clay
Burnt plastic
the non-toxic model glue that smelled like oranges
Aveeno oatmeal bath and eucerine cream
Anis Anis Perfume (they weren't ALL bad times)
Fresh lavender blossoming
Rotten apples (from my backyard in Muncie. . .and the DALTON'S backyard)
Sand from a sandbox
Cow Manure (Tromping thru the pastures with Bekah and Jake!!)
The funny smell that was inside Ricky's guitar case
Eucalyptus (Ah, that first night in California was like coming back to life)
Raspberry shaving gel
Victoria's Secret Secret 88 perfume
Coke and Polo cologne
Deisel fumes (How many miles on the Chorus bus?)
Heather Fletcher's Apple Mousse
Wet Dog (Ah, my wonderful Jake)
Amazing Elastic Plastic
Silly Putty
Fresh Latex (No silly, from new action figures!!!)
Mothballs (Mom's big steamer trunk--that had all the fabric in it)

I am sure that without much effort I could think of a million more. . .or more likely, I will find the smells first and then collect the memories afterwards. . .that is far more likely.

Anybody else?

4 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

This is fun :)

Polo cologne defined my high school years
Early morning dew is summer camp
Beautiful perfume
New basketballs
Locker room stink
Hospital disinfectant
Sweaty baby heads
Baby poop
Fender guitar polish
The mix of stale club scents before the crowd
Frying catfish
Weeks old laundry

3:42 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Baby Magic Baby Wash and Lotion
The air in Wellsburg, WV
Of course, my Grandma (Chantilly)
Hospital anti-microbial soap (I have been a nurse almost seven years)
New car smell
Tequila (still makes me sick to smell it)
Breastfed baby poop
#2 yellow pencils
Nail polish and remover
Origins Ginger soap/lotion/etc
Raspberry shaving lotion (Target brand)
Butter Pecan candles (from Walmart in Durham)
Airplane smell
Latex gloves
Cauterizing (not Fritos)
Smell of a lake while on a boat
The ocean
Strawberry fields

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going crazy trying to find "anis anis"perfume. Is it the same thing as Anais Anais? I recently smelled a scent the the person that was wearing identified it as "anis". Help. I really loved the fragrance and I can't find it. Thank you.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Thomas J. said...

try here

http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/wf_items.html?cat=00097&gs_gen=&mv_pc=ZgoogleUnassigned4&gclid=CL2Jjv_IvZICFRciFQodlWGsbA

That is what I was talking about

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home